Volume 1, Issue 2; August 2000
Editor: Jonathan M Goodman
- ACS 220th National Meeting: CINF section
- The division of chemical information has a
at the Washington DC meeting,
August 20th - 24th, 2000.
- Synthesis Reviews
- A database of 12 268 review articles and books of interest to synthetic organic chemists
(1970 - 1999), compiled by Professor Philip Kocienski
and Dr Krzysztof Jarowicki
of Glasgow University.
Synthesis Reviews is not copy-protected and copies can be freely circulated.
- Beilstein renamed
- Beilstein Informationssysteme was taken over by
Elsevier Science in 1998. The name of the company
was changed to MDL Information Systems GmbH in July 2000.
- The Data Management Project (DAMP) is part of the
CLRC data management activity.
It concentrates on climate researchers and environmental scientists, but also
addresses general issues of data storage, data management, data inter-operability,
visualisation and emerging computing technologies.
- Generic Source-Based Nomenclature for Polymers
- Provisional recommendations have been produced by
IUPAC for polymer nomenclature.
- Scalable Vector Graphics
- A new graphics format from Adobe, which has the potential to replace GIF, JPEG, etc.
Pictures are described in a text format, which is both human-readable and XML.
A plug-in from Adobe is required to see the pictures in a web browser. The format includes
support for animation and also interaction with the viewer. The
World Wide Web consortium has issued a
which means that the specification is maturing and is ready for more
widespread implementation testing.
- The Cost Effectiveness of Chemical Information
- This meeting, organised jointly with the Chemical Structure Association,
will take place at Burlington House on 4th October 2000. To make a presentation,
contact the chairman of the chemical information group, Doug Veal.
- Trinity University Cheminformatics Site
- This site is run by
Professor Steven Bachrach,
the Editor-in-Chief of the Internet Journal of Chemistry,
whose research interests include computational chemistry and use of the internet in chemistry.
- MIRAGE WWW server
- Molecular Informatics Resource for the Analysis of Gene Expression
- Cheminformatics at GenChemics
- GenChemics (GCC) is a contract research company, specialising in accelerating
lead discovery and optimisation using cheminformatics, bioinformatics and computer science.
© 2000 J M Goodman, Cambridge