Volume 2, Issue 3; March 2001
Editor: Jonathan M Goodman
- Common User Agent Problems
- This note, from the w3 consortium,
gives an account of some common mistakes in user agents due to
incorrect or incomplete
implementation of specifications, and suggests remedies. It also
suggests what should be done where the specifications are incomplete.
- Standards for Topic Maps
- Topic maps, a concept in organising information,
provide a standardized notation for interchangeably representing
information about the structure of information resources
used to define topics, and the relationships between topics.
standard is available.
There are many resources describing these, including "learn
more about Topic Maps".
An alternate description is also available, in terms of
- Thermo Galactic
- Galactic has been taken over by the informatics group in the
Life sciences division of
Thermo Electron a laboratory systems manufacturer.
- MSDS databases
- A site to search on-line safety data, which comes with a disclaimer
that the information should be used at the reader's own risk.
- Organic Chemistry On-Line
- "A Living Document of Internet Resources, Information and
assembled by Professor Nick Turro of Columbia University and Professor
Ron Rusay of Diablo Valley College and UC Berkeley. This site is an
index to a wide range
of web-based material for organic chemistry.
organic chemistry text book is available from the Universtiy of
Illinois at Springfield.
- Web Reactions
- Web reactions is an organic reactions retrieval system,
offering direct retrieval of reaction precedents through the internet,
from J. B. Hendrickson
(the author of SYNGEN)
and T. L. Sander. It uses a Java applet, which does not run
in all web browsers.
- Netscape and Internet Explorer are not everything. Opera is much
perhaps because it is rather simpler. A preliminary release is available
download, but it does not have Java support yet.
- Web access to a database of spectra. Free access to about 5000
spectra in order to test the service.
- EuroChemWeb and BioPharmaWeb
- Two new 'on-line communities' have been started by
'The Internet's leading network of business-to-business trading
according to their own press release. The company is a joint
venture with British Telecommunications plc and the Internet Capital
EuroChemWeb is for chemical
industry professionals, and BioPharmaWeb
is for Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industry professionals.
Despite the similar name, this seems to have no connection to
- Chemical Information for Organic Chemistry
- This site is run from Columbia University, and contains a list of chemical
University Chemistry Library
- The Chicago University Chemistry Library is an impressive
example of how on-line information can be managed. The librarian
is Andrea Twiss-Brooks, the webmaster for the
ACS division of Chemical Information.
- Molecular Knowledge Systems
- Software for physical property estimation and molecular design
© 2001 J M Goodman, Cambridge