Volume 2, Issue 4; April 2001
Editor: Jonathan M Goodman
- Special Libraries Association
- The Special Libraries Association
is a society of specialist libraries, based in the US.
It has a Chemistry Division.
- ACS Chemcyclopedia on-line
- A buyers guide to commercially available chemicals, run by the
American Chemical Society
- SciDex is a software system which can organize scientific data,
information and knowledge. It is an object-oriented database management
system which can include in only one system knowledge and rules from Chemistry
, Biology, Physics, etc. The first applications are: a database on Silicon NMR;
Chirbase/GC and Chirbase/CE, database on the gc and ce separation of
enantiomers; Landolt-Börnstein - index of organic compounds;
and CLAKS, Chemicals Kataster Online System.
- The Globus project is developing fundamental technologies needed to build
computational grids. Grids are persistent environments that enable software
applications to integrate instruments, displays, computational and information
resources that are managed by diverse organizations in widespread locations.
The Globus project provides a toolkit,
software tools that make it easier to build computational
grids and grid-based applications.
- This site provides free access to over fifty reference titles
containing more than 500,000 entries. The sources include
the Oxford University Press dictionary of science and
disctionary of scientists and the New Penguin Dictionary of Science.
- Public Library of Science
- Should the record of scientific research be privately owned and controlled?
This site contains an open letter and a campaign to encourage this.
The open letter begins:
"We support the establishment of an online public library that would
provide the full contents of the published record of research and
scholarly discourse in medicine and the life sciences in a freely
accessible, fully searchable, interlinked form. Establishment of this
public library would vastly increase the accessibility and utility of the
scientific literature, enhance scientific productivity, and catalyze
integration of the disparate communities of knowledge and ideas in
- A Registry of Innovative E-Journal Features, Functionalities, and Content
from Iowa State University.
- Enthalpy, Entropy and Heat Capacity calculation
- HSC Chemistry is the world's favourite thermochemical software,
from Outokumpu university. The calculations are based on an extensive
thermochemical database which contains enthalpy (H), entropy (S) and heat
capacity (C) data for more than 15000 compounds.
- Perry's Data
- McGraw Hill are making available 'the most complete database of Chemical
Engineering information available anywhere!' comprising
Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook, Lange's Handbook of Chemistry and
Yaw's Chemical Properties Handbook.
- Project Gutenberg
- A collection of books available on-line. None of these books are still
in copyright. This generally
means that the texts are taken from books published pre-1923, and
includes the Bible, Shakespeare, the Declaration of Independence,
Lewis Carroll, etc.
- DataGrid is a project funded by the EU. The objective is to enable next
generation scientific exploration which requires intensive computation and
analysis of shared large-scale databases, from hundreds of TeraBytes to
PetaBytes, across widely distributed scientific virtual communities.
- Peer to peer working group is a consortium for advancement of infrastructure standards for peer-to-peer computing. Many companies, including
are interested. See also OpenP2P.
There is a company called Peer to peer
but does it have anything to do with peer to peer? Java is joining in
© 2001 J M Goodman, Cambridge