Volume 6, Issue 3; March 2003
Editor: Jonathan M Goodman
.edu changes its meaning
- Since the beginning of the internet, some sources of information have been consistently reliable. For example, an internet name ending .edu has always been a sign of a university in the USA. On 15th April, 2003, this policy will be modified to allow more institutions access to .edu names. More postsecondary institutions will be able to apply for accreditation from a range of agencies. This is not deregulation, but is a loosening of the restrictions on .edu names.
Substance Registry System
- The US Environment Protection Agency has rearranged its web sites. The Chemical Registry System (CRS) and the Biological Registry System (BioRS) maintained by the Agency's Office of Environmental Information, have been replaced by the Substance Registry System (SRS).
- The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) creates databases, researches computational biology, develops software for analyzing genome data, and provides biomedical information - to better understand the molecular processes affecting health and disease. Its handbook is a series of (PDF format) chapters on macromolecular structures and genomes.
JEdit, Jext and J Java editors compared
- What is the best Java editor? This article compares a number of editors written specifically for Java. Are note pad, Word, or Simpletext as good? They have the benefit of simplicity, but lack Java-specific features.
Hidden Markov Models
- Markov Models determine the probability of an event based on the series of events leading up to it. The result of tossing a fair coin is an order zero Markov Model, as the result of each throw is not affected by the previous result. A basket ball match may be simply modelled by an order one Markov Model, as the chance of each team scoring depends strongly on which team scored last. This type of model can be used to analyse DNA sequences, by assuming that the probability of the next base in a sequence depends on the earlier bases in the sequence. Since the probabilities are not know, this is called a Hidden Markov Model. More information is available: Review from the Washington University School of Medicine ; Tutorial and links from UC Santa Cruz.
- The Virtual Institute for Chemometrics and Industrial Metrology (VICIM) comprises thirteen centres across Europe lead by Professor D L Massart. The Scientific Board is headed by Professor Bernard Vandeginste of Unilever. The participating centres are:
- The CAZy database describes the families of structurally-related catalytic and carbohydrate-binding modules (or functional domains) of enzymes that degrade, modify, or create glycosidic bonds. It is run by a CNRS group at the Universities of Provence and the Mediterranean, Structure and Function of Biological Macromolecules group.
J-Stage: Japan Science and Technology Information Aggregator, Electronic
- Jstage is run by JST, the Japan Science and Technology Corporation. JST was formed by the 1996 merger of the Research Development Corporation of Japan (JRDC) and JICST (the Japan Information Center for Science and Technology).
It is one of the three organisations which run STN (Scientific & Technical Information Network): JST (Japan), CAS (North America) and FIZ Karlsruhe (Europe).
- Professor Albert Padwa's (Emory University) synthetic method database: $325 for a single CPU. Future updates are free and will be available every year in the future over the internet.
International Symposium on Open Access and the Public Domain in Digital Data and Information for Science
- Jointly organised by International Council for Science (ICSU),
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO),
The U.S. National Academies,
Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) and
International Council for Scientific and Technical Information (ICSTI)
IUPAC theoretical organic chemistry acronym glossary
- This glossary is an appendix to the 1999 IUPAC report: Glossary of terms used in theoretical organic chemistry (Professor Vladimir I Minkin). IUPAC has also produced an abbreviated list of quantities, units and symbols in physical chemistry.
- Bentham Science Publishers have announced the launch of fifteen new journals in the fields of pharmaceutical science and molecular medicine. The new journals include Current Proteomics, Current Drug Discovery Technologies, and Current Drug Delivery, all planned for 2004, and several journals on aspects of medicinal chemistry and drug targets, which are already available of planned for this year. The e-mail which reported this helpfully explained "This e-mail is not spamming, as we have taken your name because of your prominent position and your openly available references in the literature."
© 2003 J M Goodman, Cambridge